The search for South Africa’s next big fashion designer has arrived…Gear up for the first episode of Project Runway SA airing on Tuesday, 10 July 2018 at 21:30 on Mzansi Magic, DStv Channel 161.
Mzansi Magic, Ndalo Pictures in association with Headline Sponsor 4th STREET Wines and production partners Rapid Blue are thrilled to bring you Project Runway South Africa, Season 1.
What to expect?
Creativity, tension and drama as aspiring fashion designers compete against each other to create runway-perfect garments restricted by time, materials, and theme.
Designs are judged by Noni Gasa and Rahim Rawjee in the company of a guest judges. Designers are eliminated until one gifted star walks away with the ultimate prize: An opportunity to showcase as a pop up with ELLE African collections where the winner will WIN a trip to Paris Fashion week (flights and accommodation included) for its legendary spring/ summer event in February 2019, brought to you by ELLE SA, ELLE Paris and 4th Street Wines.
The winner will also receive additional prizes to the value of R1, 000,000
5 reasons to tune in:
1. Watch television history be made as the hypnotic Lerato Kganyago steps into the role of Project Runway SA’s host.
2. See fashion designer to the stars Gert-Johan Coetzee shine in his role as mentor (Urging Lerato and resident judges Noni Gasa and Rahim Rawjee to ‘be nice to his children’).
3. By the end of the show we will have groomed a stellar young designer who is ready to take on Paris fashion Week!
4. Get to see your favourite fashion icons join Noni & Rahim as guest judges on the show. HINT: Our first guest judge is an effortlessly charming and witty Editor-In-Chief.
5. See contestants racing against time to present fashion forward garments to keep them in the competition.
The designs in episode one are staggering. Some in their sheer magnificence, some in their … well, you’ll just have to see.
“We are excited to be the new home for Project Runway SA. As Mzansi Magic we are always looking for content that is authentic and resonant with our audiences. This show will bring some variety to our slate of content and we hope that the viewers will enjoy our contestants’ local take on what is fashion forward” – Reneilwe Sema, Director of Local Entertainment Channels at M-Net.
“Our contestants have done us immensely proud. Amongst them there are so many varied design styles and aesthetics – and none of them dull. It’s a fabulous display of South African talent, and I’m thrilled to say that even their designs shine beyond my wildest visions.” – Ndalo Pictures Founder and CEO, Khanyi Dhlomo
But of course, someone gets the cut. Someone has to go home. And by the end of Project Runway SA’s first episode, someone will go home, much to the disbelief of the 11 contestants left standing.
Tune into Mzansi Magic, DStv channel 161 on Tuesday, 10 July at 21:30 to find out who will make the cut.